What I'm seeing in the making is a portable OS... You'll be able to download your settings to any computer, a few years from now maybe second half of 2012.. And tackling this problems from the paradigm of the Browser I think google has hit it BIG!
Secondly they'll brilliantly maybe in advertedly avoid what MS went through by 'having to separate IE from the OS"... if they gain a monopoly no judge would ask them to remove chrome if it is the OS and not the 'browser'
Thirdly they'll make the leap Apple did with the iPhone by being able to recreate a old concept on new technologies... rather than apply old concepts on new technologies like MS is doing with XP and Blackberry is doing with their system. Similarly how they got Chrome to hit the ground running 30 million strong in 9 months. Has any browser ever grown that exponentially?
Fourth, they'll change the landscape like the did with GMail when people were offering 2MB inboxes that you couldn't search...
OUCH!!! What a headache for MS this will be.
9 months after launching the Google Chrome Browser(Used by 30 Million People)...
- However, the operating systems that browsers run on were designed in an era where there was no web. So today, we're announcing a new project that's a natural extension of Google Chrome — the Google Chrome Operating System. It's our attempt to re-think what operating systems should be.
- Light Weight Open Source OS first targeted at Netbooks
- Speed, simplicity and security are the key aspects of Google Chrome OS. We're designing the OS to be fast and lightweight,
- And as we did for the Google Chrome browser, we are going back to the basics and completely redesigning the underlying security architecture of the OS so that users don't have to deal with viruses, malware and security updates.
- Google Chrome OS will run on both x86 as well as ARM chips
- within a new windowing system on top of a Linux kernel.
- For application developers, the web is the platform. All web-based applications will automatically work and new applications can be written using your favorite web technologies.
- Apps will run not only on Google Chrome OS, but on any standards-based browser on Windows, Mac and Linux thereby giving developers the largest user base of any platform.
- separate from Android. Android was designed from the beginning to work across a variety of devices from phones to set-top boxes to netbooks. Google Chrome OS is being created for people who spend most of their time on the web, and is being designed to power computers ranging from small netbooks to full-size desktop systems.
Point above were highlighted in the google blog by Sundar Pichai, VP Product Management and Linus Upson, Engineering Director
Is google bitting more than it can chew?
“Market changes happen at points of discontinuity,” Mr. Larry Augustin said. “And that’s what you have with netbooks and a market that has moved to mobile devices.”
11 Questions about Googles Chrome OS